Saturday, February 15, 2014

11. Library & Reference

The bookmobile does not have its own app, heck we don't even have computers on board so... But anyway, I did try out the ALS BookMyne app for my android phone and it does not work. However, I am told we are working with SirsiDynix to troubleshoot the problems. While we have an iPad on board, it would be much more convenient for me to be able to use my phone as some days we don't get any reference questions and we would have to wait for the iPad to turn on. My phone is always on and ready to go.

This would be so convenient to have to see what a call number is for a non-fiction book. I could quickly check the truck before the patron left to see if we had the book they were looking for. Usually later on in the day, after I have had a chance to check the iPad, and find the call number, do I find out if we have the item on board that day or not. Several times over the past few months the book was sitting right there. How frustrating to know I could have given the patron the book right away when they asked for it. Frankly, my mind can only remember so much, and it would be great to be able to use technology to help me.

I briefly checked out the Hennepin and Ramsey County apps. I used to live in the Twin Cities so I guess it brings back a little nostalgia. I liked how each one tells how far a library is away from your current location, what their address is, their hours, etc. Great for those of us that are too shy to call in for hours, and frankly it saves a lot of time too by making a call or looking up their website on your device. Apps are much faster than searching and using things on your devices web browser.

The ELM mobile site was great too. I have used the Ask a Librarian and Find Your Library sections. Very handy to have in the field. It's done so well they don't really need an app!

No comments:

Post a Comment